Super Bomberman 4 (スーパーボンバーマン4, Sūpābonbāman 4, in Japan) is the fourth game in the Super Bomberman series.
Bagura's brain escaped the explosion of his Battleship in Super Bomberman 3, and has summoned the Four Bomber Kings and Great Bomber to get revenge on White and Black Bomberman. The two heroes are sent hurtling back in time, along with some other Bombermen, to fight through different eras and ultimately face Bagura...
In the Normal Game, the player must defeat all of the enemies on the map in order to open the Exit portal to the next stage. Up to two players can play co-operatively.
- Stage 1: Primeval Era
- Stage 2: Edo Era
- Stage 3: Modern Era
- Stage 4: Super Future
- Stage 5: Hyperspace
Up to 5 players can compete in the Battle Game.
- Battle Royale Mode (バトルロワイヤルモード, Batorurowaiyarumōdo) - The standard Battle Game. Either a Single or Tag Match can be played. In the Tag Match, players are split into two teams.
- Champion Mode (チャンピオンモード, Chanpionmōdo) - In this mode, one to two players may participate cooperatively against each the computer in five matches. Each match is played against one of the Four Bomber Kings or Great Bomber in sequence. Three rounds wins a match; if the player(s) lose a match then the game is over. The Battle Stage is Numb Bomb, and at all players begin with the following powerups:
- Maniac Mode (マニアックモード, Maniakkumōdo) - In this mode, the player is able to set the number of items (up to 60) that appear in the match, as well as the number of occurrences of each individual item, and the starting HP for each player can be set as well (one to five HP max). In this way, a handicap can be set for more experienced players so that novice players may have a chance. Only the Single Match may be played in this mode, and the first Battle Stage (Usual) is the only one that is available.
The Four Bomber Kings
Summoned by Bagura, this quintet of evildoers are all playable in the Battle Game. Each one has a special ability that can be activated by holding the B button and pressing a direction on the D pad.
- Stage 1: Usual
- Stage 2: Noronoro Byun
- Stage 3: Rolling Sugedama
- Stage 4: Push and Fall
- Stage 5: Numb Bomb
- Stage 6: Surprise Floor
- Stage 7: Hidden Bomb
- Stage 8: Spinning Slot
- Stage 9: Seesaw
- Stage 10: Narikiri Cosplay
- Stage 11: Trolley Rascal
- Stage 12: Hatahatatoritori
The player reveals items by destroying soft blocks. Some items are only available in the Normal Game or the Battle Game.
- Bomb Up
- Speed Up
- Remote Control
- Bomb Pass
- Invincible Suit
- Pierce Bomb
- Block Pass
- Bomb Kick
- Full Fire
- Power Glove
- 1 Up
- Bonus Item
- Select Item
Skulls appear only in the Battle Game. When picked up, a skull gives the player a negative status effect. The negative status can be removed by either passing it to another player (by walking into him/her) or by picking up another item. The possible diseases are as follows:
- Fast Runner Disease (俊足病): The player moves at maximum speed.
- Slow-Footed Disease (鈍足病): The player moves very slowly.
- Diarrhea (下痢): The player drops bombs against his/her will.
- Inability Disease (不能病): The player cannot drop bombs.
- Lowest Disease (最低病): The player's explosions have minimum range.
- No Stop Disease (止まれん病): The player cannot stop moving.
- Reverse Disease (リーバス病): The player's directional inputs on the controller are reversed.
- Hasty Disease (せっかち病): The player's bombs explode faster.
- Leisure Disease (のんびり病): The player's bombs take longer to explode.
- Invisibility (スケスケ病): The player disappears from the screen a number of times.
- Hiccup Disease (しゃっくり病): The player drops random items at regular intervals.
- Change Disease (チェンジ病): The cursed player switches position with a random player.
During the game, Bomberman can find two different types of Eggs, organic or mechanical, which contain rideable enemies. Bomberman can have up to two stock eggs with him, but can only carry one type of egg at a time.
- Triceradops: Pierce Bomb.
- Angora: Can float over soft blocks.
- Swim: Moves straight ahead at high speeds.
- Hagehage: Destroys soft blocks.
- Crazy Balloon: Can pass through bombs.
- Bobo: Increases explosion range to the maximum.
- Dogun Jr.: Kicks bombs.
- Ponpon: Punches bombs.
- Daruman: Increases speed to the maximum.
- Dancing Clown: Stuns enemies with its projectile.
- Bomb Tank: Decreases speed of enemies with sticky bullets.
- Fly Turtle: Kamikaze attack.
- Pakkunga: Has a line bomb attack.
There are several secrets in the game, most of which can be accessed with passwords.
- Battle Group 2
- Password: 4622
- Effect: Changes the available Battle Stages to those in the second group.
- Battle Group 3
- Password: 0520
- Effect: Changes the available Battle Stages to those in the third group.
- Battle Group 4
- Password: 0903
- Effect: Changes the available Battle Stages to those in the fourth group.
- Battle Stages 11 and 12
- Access: While on the title screen, press the X button repeatedly for 6 seconds until a sound is heard. The guidebook suggests the use of a Hudson Soft Super Joy Card controller, with the speed setting for the X button set to the second (middle) position.
- Effect: Battle Stages 11 and 12 are unlocked. However, entering any of the Battle Group passwords will lock these stages again.
- Hyper Bomber
- Password: 5656
- Effect: Hammer Bomber, Jet Bomber, and Great Bomber will no longer suffer from negative effects after utilizing their special abilities.
- More Variety of Vehicles
- Password: 0164
- Effect: The seven rideable enemies that are normally unavailable in the Battle Game will now randomly appear in Eggs.
- Golden Bomber
- Password: 7777
- Effect: In the Battle Game, the winning player will become golden in appearance during the next round.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Super Bomberman 4 manual, pg. 21
- ↑ Super Bomberman 4 manual, pg. 29
- ↑ Super Bomberman 4 Hudson Official Guidebook, pg. 107-110
|Main||Bomberman (NES • TG-16 • Arcade) • II • World (1992) • '93 • '94 • Super Bomberman (2 • 3 • 4 • 5) • Saturn Bomberman (Fight!!) • Neo • Atomic • 64 (1997) • World (1998) • Wars • Hero • 64: The Second Attack! • 64 (2001) • Generation • Jetters • Act:Zero • Live (Battlefest) • Blast • Ultra • Super R|
|Portable||GB (2 • 3) • DS • Portable • 2 • Blitz|
|Other||Online||Online (Dreamcast) • Online (PC)|
|RPG||Quest • Tournament • Story DS|
|Max||Max • Max 2|
|Land||Land (2 • 3) • Touch! (2) • Wii • Portable|
|Mobile||Touch: The Legend of Mystic Bomb • Touch 2: Volcano Party • Chains • Dojo|
|Collections||Collection (GB) • Collection (PC) • Collection Vol. 2 • Hudson Best Vol. 1|
|Spin-Off||Robo Warrior • Atomic Punk • Blaster Master Boy • Panic Bomber • B-Daman • Pocket • Fantasy Race • Kart (DX) • DreamMix TV World Fighters • Hardball|
|Canceled||Virtual Bomberman • 3DS|